This group of ghostly figurines stand by a wall in Craigie Hall House, 6 Rowan Road, Glasgow.
Craigie Hall was designed for Joseph MacLean, son of William MacLean of Plantation. Renaissance ashlar mansion with central Ionic columned entry and balustraded window over. Classical colonettes to bay window on garden front. Sumptuous neoclassical ceilings, cornices and embossed frieze, painted dados and inlaid Honeyman tiled floors. Outstanding rusticated marble walled entrance hall with Corinthian columns. Lion mask frieze to staircase, marbled columns to first-floor screens and gilded guilloche detail to first-floor corridor architraves. It was acquired about 1890 by Thomas Mason, a Pollokshields villa builder, who had it extended and new internal fittings provided in 1892, by John Keppie and Charles Rennie Mackintosh (Honeyman & Keppie). Pavilion with coat of arms above Art Nouveau bay window. Exceptional fittings included Art Nouveau overdoors, tulip friezes and open pediments in hall. Fitted library cases, with swelling colonettes and sinuous shelving. Elaborate wood fittings in drawing room. Mahogany organ case and elaborate chimneypiece in music room. Other remarkable fittings include Lalique Art Deco light fittings, Art Deco mirror fireplaces, bathroom fittings and stained-glass windows. Restored and converted to serviced offices and function rooms, 1980.
Taken from “Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide”, by Sam Small, 2008.