35 St Andrew Square was built for Andrew Crosbie of Holm [1736-1785]. This house was the first architecture on the grand cale to appear in Edinburgh’s New Town.
No 35 St Andrew Square was later converted by Archibald Elliot to form the Royal Bank of Scotland’s head office. In 1830 it became the Douglas Hotel, and as such was further enlarged in 1865.
Queen Victoria stayed here, as did Walter Scott on his last visit to Edinburgh in 1832.